About the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
We protect the public. We advance our profession. We guide our CPAs. We ensure that our 90,000 members and 21,000 students meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. We help them stay ahead of global market trends and abreast of regulatory change. CPAs represent a globally recognized, premium designation. Our Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations in all industries for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, management skills and leadership. cpaontario.ca.
CPA Ontario is currently in search of a Regulatory Accountant who is a CPA with experience in regulatory review and oversight. Reporting to the Registrar, the Regulatory Accountant will be responsible for developing and maintaining quality control, risk assessment, and mitigation processes for the Office of the Registrar. The successful candidate will also lead operational reviews to assess members’ compliance with regulatory obligations and recommend regulatory action when warranted.
- Reviews and provides recommendations to the Registrar on complex matters involving the interpretation of Bylaws, Regulations and Rules of Professional Conduct
- Reviews and reports to the Registrar with respect to:
- the Registrar’s compliance with statutory and regulatory responsibilities and obligations
- the establishment, maintenance and effectiveness of systems, processes, policies and procedures for appropriate oversight of members and firms
- Provides operational support to managers and the Office of the Registrar team on non-routine matters, including ad hoc requests, research and appeals of Registrar decisions
- Develops and implements compliance review and regulatory audit programs to provide appropriate level of regulatory scrutiny to areas of regulatory risk
- Develops guidance for members and firms to foster compliance with Bylaws, Regulations and Rules of Professional Conduct and liaises with other business units to facilitate effective communication to members and firms
- Supports business planning initiatives by identifying regulatory best practices, preparing information and assumptions in support of forecasts and budgets and quarterly variance reporting
- Trains and mentors the Registrar’s Office team on compliance topics and issues to ensure appropriate levels of ongoing knowledge and skill development
- Coordinates the provision of information, reports and assistance to other business units to fulfill CPA Ontario’s statutory reporting and compliance requirements related to Registrar functions
- Analyzes data to understand problems and opportunities for improved regulatory oversight
- Supports efforts and identifies opportunities to enhance the delivery of the member regulatory experience, including liaising with other departments within Regulatory & Standards
- Leads special projects and other duties and initiatives assigned
- A CPA member in good standing with a minimum of 6 years of post-qualification experience is required
- Thorough understanding of CPA Ontario’s regulatory regime for members and firms is highly preferred
- Prior experience within a regulatory or compliance environment is required
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking and judgement skills are required
- Proven experience in organizing and reviewing complex regulatory matters and issues is required
- Strong communication (verbal and written), presentation, customer service, relationship building and interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-oriented environment with multiple priorities is required
- Previous experience with budget and forecasting is an asset
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel (pivot tables and VLOOKUPS) and PowerPoint is required
- Prior experience with iMIS and/or Salesforce is an asset
- Familiarity with Tableau, Power BI or other data analytics tools is highly preferred
- Prior project and people management/leadership and training experience is required
- A proactive, self-starter with positive energy and drive for continuous improvement
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.