About the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
We protect the public. We advance our profession. We guide our CPAs. We ensure that our 90,000 members and 21,000 students meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. We help them stay ahead of global market trends and abreast of regulatory change. CPAs represent a globally recognized, premium designation. Our Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations in all industries for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, management skills and leadership. cpaontario.ca.
Reporting to the Director, Communications, CPA Ontario is currently in search of an experienced Public Relations Manager who will be responsible for the planning, development and delivery of public relations strategies, campaigns, projects and initiatives on behalf of the organization.
Public relations strategy and campaigns:
- Manage the development, implementation and measurement of annual public relations plan for CPA Ontario, and make adjustments through the year as appropriate
- Proactively assess day-to-day media environment and identify issues, trends and current events to seize opportunities for increased coverage/exposure for CPA Ontario
- Provide strategic media relations counsel, support and preparation to the CEO and other Senior Leaders and lead the process for both reactive and proactive media inquiries and interviews.
- Research and update editorial/story pitch calendar on an ongoing basis
- Building and maintaining relationships with key business, industry and community press
- Work collaboratively and manage relationship with external PR agency as needed
- Manage and track ongoing public relations budget
- Provide strategic communications planning, support and advice as required to support internal business partners in navigating publicly facing and/or media issues
- Exercise expert judgment in identifying and responding to complex or negative issues or inquiries and exhibit leadership in developing strategic and timely responses that protect our corporate reputation
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Maintain knowledge of PR/communications trends and practices by participating in continuing education courses, professional organizations and seminars; reading current literature; and maintaining professional contacts in the community
Corporate Writing/Collateral Development:
- Write and maintain all CPA Ontario collateral pieces related to public relations activities
- Strategize, research and write a range of communications products and materials including but not limited to: news releases, key messages, backgrounders, questions and answers, speeches, award submissions
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Public Relations, Communications, English, Journalism or Marketing is required
- Minimum of 8 years public relations experience in a regulatory, agency or corporate environment. Agency experience is considered an asset
- Superior interpersonal, relationship building, negotiating, communication and presentation skills
- Government relations experience is considered an asset
- Excellent writing and editing skills in both traditional and digital formats with a high attention to accuracy and detail required
- Proven hands-on experience developing and executing corporate public relations strategies and campaigns as well as issues monitoring and management
- Proven ability aligning and integrating PR strategies and tactics with the strategic marketing plan, social activity, corporate thought leadership, business strategy and brand vision
- Previous experience working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment with last minute changes in plans and direction is required
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications and media monitoring tools and programs
- Flexibility to work outside of regular business hours as required
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.